Saturday 23 February 2008

HOT!HOT!HOT

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
It’s undeniable that English is the key to success in this modern society. Learning English has become a fashionable trend marked by thousands of English-teaching centers growing in leaps and bounds. However, have we learned English in the right way? I have some interesting stories to share with you…
1. The first story begins with a very well-known place in Viet Nam, Hai Van Mountain Pass. Everyone knows that this place is really famous for its tunnel built about some years ago. Regrettably, a few days ago, I saw that name in a panel in one of the main streets in HCM City. But it was printed “HAI VAN TUNEL”. Remarkably, this panel has been there for years. A little bit annoyed…
=> Imagine one day you travel to a foreign country and you see a Vietnamese word misspelled. What do you feel? Maybe that’s just a small mistake but is that negligible?
2. The second story takes place in a bookstore. I was looking for a book when I suddenly realized that everyone around me mysteriously got so engrossed in their books. I heard some noise and then two foreign women appeared. They seemed to get lost and try to look for help. Then when they were talking to the shop assistant, everyone tried to keep away from them though someone still stole a glance at them.
=> I’m sure that some of, or maybe all of everyone present there that day, could speak English but … what happened?
3. I have been working as a tutor for about three months. One day, my student gave me a piece of paper and asked me why his teacher gave it to him. I quickly realized that that was the tape script for the listening practice. I asked whether his teacher had given him any instruction and I was really taken aback when I heard the answer:
“My teacher told me to learn it by heart in preparation for the forthcoming test.” I told him exactly what it was. He kept silent and then murmured: “It is unfair. Why doesn’t he let us listen ourselves?”. When home, I told my younger sister about that. You know what she said? “It is normal. I also used to receive tape scripts when I was at secondary school.” At a loss for words …
=> I remembered our 1st -term listening test and then … (crying)
Marsupilami

3 comments:

F5 said...

What's a pity...but it's true! So how can we get rid of those things? I think it depends on each person's awareness.

Anonymous said...

I give my sympathy to you ! haizz

Anonymous said...

That's Vietnamese Education.
That's why Vietnamese people have been upset so much by the way their children are trained.